Monday, February 28, 2011

The origins of blogshops was in people selling used clothes, or pre-owned clothes.  Although blogshops now peddle the various types of contemporary fashion, its roots in used clothes has grown unto a successful sub-category of its own- vintage clothing.

This article focuses on blogshops that specialize in vintage fashion.

From: http://www.thesundaily.com/article.cfm?id=58130


Vintage comeback.
> Four online boutique owners talk about their love for yesteryear clothing
by Soo Wern Jun
 
Shatirah Shukri in a
vintage outfit
Ana Abu Melrose
black dress
WHAT should you do with your old dresses, skirts, pants, blazers and blouses? Throw them away of course, since no will wear them anyway. You may be in your 50s or 60s now, but who said that fashion has an age limit .
While you are busy disposing clothes from your closet, did you know that vintage clothing collectors out there would actually pay to obtain these pieces as part of their collection? Their passion and love for vintage would bring them miles away just to locate rare and unique vintage designs – even those from the 1920s. With these collectors (who now have turned online boutique owners that sell vintage clothing), the vintage fashion is back and growing fast.
Forget about your friends who tease you about wearing old fashioned or outdated clothing because it was fashion icons like Audrey Hepburn, Twiggy (Twiggy Lawson), Jackie O (Jacqueline Lee Kennedy Onassis), Sophie Loren and many others who started rocking the fashion world when nobody knew what fashion was all about. If none of us have forgotten and still admire these remarkable fashion revolutionaries, why should we put aside fashionable clothing worn or inspired by these ladies back then which we today term as vintage clothing.
Still sceptical but curious? Maybe these four young and expressive vintage clothing explorers could change your perception. Reviving trends back in the 1920s, they are not just mere collectors as they too live up to these trends by wearing and trying to incorporate these clothing into modern fashion.
Janyfer Yeoh in a
vintage outfit
Vintage Rockstar
mermaid maxi skrit
Bringing fashion back in time, they are Nabila Nasser, 24, (Vintage Rockstar,
dearvintagerockstar.blogspot.com), Farhanah Abu Samah, 23 (anaabu, http://sites.google.com/site/anaabushop/), Janyfer Yeoh, 34 (vintage biri-biri, vintagebiribiri.com.my) and Shatirah Shukri, 21 (Shop Flashback, shopflashback.blogspot.com). Once you have seen and experience their style and fashion collection, you might just want to fill your wardrobe with more vintage treasures.

WEARING VINTAGE "I noticed a lot of artistes and celebrities have been wearing them more now. It was either vintage-inspired or genuine vintage items. As the trend grew, I realised how these clothing have gained popularity because of their authenticity in design direction and the fact that each piece is made with quality fabric. I was drawn to wear vintage and today I’m sharing these items with fellow vintage lovers." - Nabila Nasser
"My mother was the first to give me weird stares. She didn’t like the idea of me wearing clothes which she once used to like during her younger days and it also make her feel quite embarrassed that I was wearing old clothes. I’m sure that there was nothing wrong in wearing those clothes especially when they are very well made and in good condition. If you look around, you would see a lot of vintage-inspired designs but they may not be made with similar quality fabric." - Farhanah Abu Samah

"If you’ve always preferred rare fashion items like I do, vintage clothing gives you that advantage. Chances of you running into someone wearing the exact same piece of clothing as you is incredibly slim if you dress in vintage frocks. Not to mention the fact that most clothing from the past were made with high quality fabric and better workmanship." - Janyfer Yeoh
"I noticed that you can never find repeats of the same type of fabric, colour or cut. It is always a unique piece that I come across each time I buy one. I believe that you can never find identical pieces, unless if you tailor-made two pieces of the same dress from one piece of cloth. Otherwise, if you wear vintage today, you will definitely stand out." - Shatirah Shukri
SELLING VINTAGE
"Two years ago, before I found a way to source for these type of clothes I used to have my aunts sew vintage-design clothing for me. Later, I found several popular sites on the Internet which were based overseas. Then I realised there is a local market for these trends and style but the only problem was that it wasn’t getting enough attention. Not many individuals now know how to value the fashion back then and only viewed it as old and out-dated fashion. My passion has not only led me to set up a full-time business but also brought me to many places where I’ve discovered more of these vintage items. Although only in Malaysia, I was very surprised to have discovered many items which many of us would have thought no longer exist." - Nabila

"It has been a year now since I first started selling vintage fashion online. But in this short period of time, I’ve discovered so many beautiful pieces of vintage clothing whom no one knew were still available. I even managed to convince my mother who initially thought it was awkward to wear vintage and today she is also in the business with me!" - Farhanah
"For the love of unique items, I have always been an enthusiast in looking for unique vintage pieces. Sadly though, not all of them are my size. Hence I figured, why not set up a blogshop and sell them to people who are looking for similar items but don’t have the time to hunt for them? After operating the blogshop for over two years, vintage biri-biri today is an established local vintage e-retailer." - Janyfer
DO YOU REALLY KNOW VINTAGE
"Vintage fashion is essentially a general term for dressing in pieces from any chosen era in the past; these can be any garment made since the 1920s up to 1990s. It is important to know the correct definition of vintage clothing and the difference between vintage clothing and vintage-inspired clothing. Vintage is seen as a sustainable style or an alternative fashion rather than the mass produced mainstream." - Janyfer
"You can identify a piece of vintage item based on its stitches, cut and type of fabric. After running the business for two years now, it is easier for me to recognise whether a piece of clothing is vintage." - Nabila
SOURCING FOR VINTAGE "Almost all of my items are imported from Japan and the rest are sourced from all over the country. These clothes could come from countries like Korea, the US and the UK. Sometimes we do stumble upon designer vintage pieces, but the majority of the non-designer pieces are from late 70s to late 80s, pret-a-porter lines and custom-made pieces from Japan. Most vintage items are assumed to be pre-loved, as these pieces have been around for two decades or more. So unless they still have a tag attached, they have most likely been worn before." - Janyfer
"I hunt for these items wherever I go. However, several pieces didn’t fit me and that was when I thought, why not share them with fellow vintage lovers. The fastest way to reach out to vintage collectors was through my blog." - Shatirah
"Some of our items are imported and some are thrifted. The imported items are mostly from Japan as there seem to be a huge market for vintage clothing there. We do get new items from Japan but this does not mean that they are not vintage. Most of the items are old stocks which they couldn’t sell but have been in the warehouse for many years. These are ‘old’ but considered new items, but definitely not pre-loved. Shoppers who are still not very comfortable with the idea of wearing worn clothes are more comfortable with these imported items." - Nabila and Farhanah

No comments:

Post a Comment