Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What is a consignment shop?

This is a CONSIGNMENT SHOP format which operates in the US.

There are similarities with blogshops in terms of the selling items that are pre-loved and at lower prices.  They do not use a blog platform but a shopping cart site, but the ideas are pretty much the same as with blogshops in terms of cost cutting.

From: http://www.examiner.com/fashion-in-albany/what-are-consignment-shops

What is a consignment shop?

  • October 11th, 2010 9:23 pm ET
Consignment shops are becoming extremely popular to the frugal yet fashionable. Often confused with thrift shops or goodwill due to selling second hand clothing, consignment shops differ in that the profits are split between two parties: consignment shops (consignor) and the people who bring the items in to be sold (consignee). Merchandise at thrift shops are mostly donated and purchased as is (you get what you pay for). Most merchandise is damaged in some way and may be extremely worn. On the other hand most consignment shops will not accept merchandise unless it looks new and the label is high-end, which affords them the ability to sell merchandise at a much higher price. Consignors and consignees split their profits and its usually a 50/50 or 60/40 split (the consignment shop receiving the higher percentage).
I had the pleasure of interviewing Tasha S. Robinson owner of Imperfect Concepts Boutique an online consignment shop. Read excerpts from my interview below:

Tell me a little about yourself:
I am a 25 year old. Graduated from Southern University A&M College in 2007 with a BA in Public Relations. I am a military brat and grew up overseas. I am Jamaican and love cooking Caribbean food. Creativity is how I thrive in life. Addicted to music, fashion and sports. I get no days off, I date my company. We have an excellent loving relationship

Please explain what Imperfect Concept is and how it works:Imperfect Concepts is a high end online resale boutique. Most people shop resale or consignment shops in their local state. Others use the means of EBay or craigslist or something of that nature. I am the middle woman. I provide a variety of amazing pieces at affordable prices for the public online or if you live in my state you can do the personal shopping at my place.

How long have you been in business?
I have been an Image Consultant since college and I launched Imperfect Concepts 7/11/2009. So my online store has been in business for over a year now.

What are the pros and cons of utilizing a consignment shop/boutique versus a major department store? I will start out with the pros because I am a positive person. The pro is always finding unique items. I feel when you are utilizing a consignment shop you will find vintage items. Vintage items have a better quality to me than clothes that are made now. The cons which would lead you to shop at your local department store is finding a particular item you need right here and right now. If you are looking for a jimmy Choo heel from this season a consignment or resale shop might not have it just yet. Another pro for resale boutiques is the fact that we are customer driven. I know personally that I try to make my customers feel as important as they truly are. Everyone is VIP with me because I cant thrive without my customers. With department stores millions of people shop them daily so they have lost their personal touch with the customers.

Where do you see the consignment shop/boutique business 5 years from now?
I am debating if I want to have a store front within the next 5 years. I do know I want to build my brand and use every step placed in front of me to its full potential. I am carefully building my brand and providing amazing and pre-loved pieces to women at affordable prices.

Shop online at ImperfectConcepts.com




No comments:

Post a Comment